Recruiting FE teachers from overseas

2 November 2021

The government published new guidance on 25 October 2021 for further education providers in England wishing to recruit teachers from overseas. The guidance details information on the right to work in the UK, how to become a visa sponsor, coronavirus guidelines and safeguarding checks.
FE providers can check an applicant’s right to work by using the ‘Checking a job applicant’s right to work service’ on the government’s website.
Providers must have a sponsor licence to hire a teacher from overseas on a Skilled Worker visa. You can check if you are already a licensed sponsor, or you can become a licensed sponsor by following the ‘step by step visa sponsorship for employers guidance’ in the link above.
Overseas FE teachers can apply for a Skilled Worker visa as long as they meet the following conditions: 
  • the employer is appropriately licensed and has offered them a job
  • the overseas teacher can speak, read, write and understand English
  • the role pays at least £20,480 or the relevant minimum rate for FE teachers in England (pro rata rates apply for part-time workers)
The guidance also sets out details of how to recruit using other visas, travel restrictions and self-isolation requirements and safeguarding checks, following part three of KCSIE and checks on criminal records.
FE providers considering recruiting teachers from overseas are advised to read the guidance in detail.